Saturday, April 10, 2010

~ASB 2010~

As I sit here today, I can only wish that I was still in Biloxi with the United Way Alternative Spring Break. That was without a doubt the most amazing,life-changing,and rewarding experience of my life.
My week started on Sunday evening when I arrived at SUMA to meet everybody. Right away, I knew it was going to be an awesome week. We got our team assignments and projects and I could not have been more excited to be on the Heritage House project. We spent the entire week repainting two Historical Homes that had been damaged by Hurricane Katrina. It was very humbling to meet the people of the community.
Our days were loonng and hard but it was worth it in the end. We were awake every morning at 6:30 getting ready for breakfast at 7:00. We then boarded the buses at 8:00 to head to the job sites and work all day. We didn't get back to camp until 4:30 or 5:00 every night from our day of working. We had dinner every night at 6:00 which included our team reports,shout-outsk,and just hanging out with everyone. We also had an activity everynight to regroup and hang with everybody instead of just our group. Monday we went to Target to participate in the First Ever Flash Mob in Mississippi. It was such an Amazing thing to be part of. Tuesday we had a bonfire on the beach....just hated it was a little cold and windy :) Wednesday we had a Shrimp Boil which was Amazing. However, beens I was the only one from the South I had to show everyone how to peel shrimp. Thursday we had a Karoke/Dance Night. Such an Awesome Time!! And Friday we had our closing ceremonies. We left Saturday which was a bittersweeet time. Was really excited to get back home but didn't want to leave the Amazing people I met. But I will post pictures and more later...I'm still trying to get caught up on all the sleep I missed. Team Lolly Pop Kids 4ever!!

No comments: